Sunday, July 17, 2011

Still Life and Figure

At my last painting class, I decided to paint what the rest of the class was painting (a landscape at the San Diego Mission).  I believe painting is my expression of a particular subject matter.  I can paint a sky orange or green if I want, because it is my painting and my expression.  And I believe it is important to listen to my inner voice - it's really amazing to feel an instant connection to a particular subject - or have something not move you in any way.  It's important for me to be excited about what I am going to paint.  Last week, I didn't listen to my inner voice - I painted along with the rest of the class.  That painting ended up in the trash!  But, yesterday, I had a better day . . . I first painted a small (8x10) lemon painting - and then I had time to start a figurative painting, which I finished up last night.
Here are yesterday's efforts . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment