Sunday, February 6, 2011

Loosening Up




I have been taking classes from a great teacher in Solana Beach for the last few months.  I have learned so much and feel like i am making some progress with my painting.  As a change of pace, the first week of January, I decided to take a 5-day workshop in Palm Springs from a wild and crazy guy named Bob Burridge - talk about loose!  The class was about abstracting the figure and it was taught in acrylic - a medium that I haven't used in years.  The class was really fun but really "outside the box" for me!  I tried to be abstract in my thinking and painting - really I tried!  And even though I didn't feel like I had great success with my painting during the workshop, I found it fun to work with acrylics - like playing! I feel more "serious" when I paint in oil -- I want to produce a good painting.  So, when I got home from the workshop, I put gesso on the covers of all my sketchbooks and proceeded to paint faces on all of them.  They are silly and fun.  That is the beauty of acrylic - it dries right away.  It is also the thing that I don't like about acrylics.  I am attaching a couple photos of the sketchbook covers.  So, if I feel i am tightening up, I just pull out that acrylic and "play"!

No comments:

Post a Comment